Families of the Hillsborough victims have been provided with a timetable for the release of official papers relating to the disaster.
The Hillsborough Independent Panel has been reviewing documents and so far are estimated to have analysed almost 500,000 pages from public organisations and has promised that the bereaved families will be given access on 12 September. A public report will be made at a later date.
A statement released on Wednesday explained the reasons for this: "by making this announcement today it will give the bereaved families sufficient time to prepare for the disclosure."
In continuation it read: "One of the panel's central objectives has been consultation with the bereaved families.
"In due course the panel will contact each family to explain details of the disclosure arrangements."
Home Secretary, Theresa May, issued a written statement: "The government is fully supportive of the work of the independent panel chaired by the Bishop of Liverpool. The panel's work has been detailed and complex, but the government is pleased that it will complete its work by the autumn."
Referring to the news and some documents finding their way into the hands of the BBC earlier this year; Sheila Coleman, of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said: "We always knew this date would soon be announced. It's a shame the full cabinet minutes are yet to be released after they were leaked and the result of the inquiry into how the leak occurred."
Margaret Aspinall, chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, also welcomed the news and said: "September 12 will undoubtedly be an emotional day for all the families."